Arthur C. and Mary S. A. Nash House, c. 1926
124 South Boundary Street
In 1926, architect Arthur C. Nash built the Nash House for his family. The Nash House is in the Colonial Revival style. The home is one of Nash’s many contributions to Chapel Hill. Nash began working with the University of North Carolina (UNC) in 1922. He designed Wilson Library, Graham Memorial, The Carolina Inn, Kenan Stadium, South Building, and other dormitories and classrooms. Mary Screven, Nash’s wife, was a talented painter. The two retired to Washington D.C. in 1930.
After the Nashes retired, Clara and Roland McClamroch purchased the home. The McClamrochs rented the home to Alpha and Robert Wettach. Robert Wettach earned his degree from Harvard University. He was a law professor and Dean of the UNC Law School from 1941-1949. Alpha Wettach taught psychology at UNC and became the UNC Dean of Women Students in 1951. In 1983, Clara McClamroch died and her heirs sold the home to Monica and Joseph and Kalo.
The Kalos were both law professors at UNC. In 2013, Jennifer and Victor Chen purchased the property. The Chens immediately undertook a large renovation projected guided by the original blueprints. The building retains many of Arthur C. Nash’s original design features, as well as retaining original doors, windows, hardware, and plaster. During their renovation, workers rediscovered architectural features that previous renovations had hidden.