Berry-Brown-Tax House, c.1914
611 E. Rosemary Street
Harriet Morehead Berry built the Berry-Brown-Tax House in 1914 on a piece of land originally owned by W.C. Coker. The home is a bungalow that has a rustic appearance due to its cedar siding and river rock foundation. Harriet Morehead Berry graduated with honors from the State Normal and Industrial School (now the University of North Carolina at Greensboro). Berry accepted a job as a stenographer to Dr. Joseph Pratt on the Carolina Geological and Economic Survey at Chapel Hill in 1901. Berry continued to work with Pratt as a secretary on the North Carolina Good Roads Association. The North Carolina Good Roads Association sought to improve the roads across the state. When Pratt enlisted for WWI, Harriet Berry became acting leader of the survey and the Good Roads Association. Berry sold the home to her sister, Mary Berry Brown and her sister’s husband, Dr. Kent Brown, UNC professor of Germanic languages and literature, in 1919. Renovations completed in 2007 have changed the original appearance, yet it retains its authentic charm.