Chapel of the Cross Rectory c. 1914
501 East Rosemary Street
Construction of the Rectory for the Chapel of the Cross Episcopal Church started in 1913 and was completed in 1914. The home is a “Brentwood” model kit house from the Aladdin Kit Houses Company. Aladdin sold kit houses from 1906 until 1987. This style and floorplan were very popular during the 1910s because of its colonial style stairs and semi-enclosed porch. Aladdin sold the Brentwood model for $2,100 in 1913.
The house served as the rectory from 1914 until 1970. During that time, it was home to four rectors of the Episcopalian Church and three chaplains of the University of North Carolina. Between 1921 and 1944, Rev. Alfred Lawrence, the Rector of the Chapel of the Cross, and his wife Millicent lived there with their children.. Millicent ran a small kindergarten in the homefor some of that time.
The Diocese of North Carolina sold it in April 1970 to the Tri Sigma sorority. The sorority decided not to use it and sold it the same year to the Law Office of Howard Manning, who rented the house to Charles Jeffress. Currently Katherine and Vincent Kopp call the Rectory home. The Kopps bought the home in 1993.
The Rectory is in both the local historic district of Chapel Hill and the National Register of Historic Places historic district. It has been renovated a few times. In the late 1970s or early 1980s, the rear deck was added to the home. This is the only known change to the outside of the home. In both 2005 and 2008, the bathrooms were remodeled. In 2011-2012, the exterior was re-shingled with new cedar shakes. Shakes are similar to shingles, but instead of being used on a roof, they are used on the side of a house. Other than the deck, the outside appearance has been the same since 1914.