Cobb House, c.1893
517 E. Franklin Street
Situated next door to the Presbyterian Manse, the land where the Cobb House is now located was once a part of the same parcel of land that Charles Phillips once owned. Collier Cobb, UNC geology department head, purchased the lot and began construction on the Cobb House in the winter of 1894. Photographs of the home suggest the home was constructed in two stages. As UNC continued to expand, Collier Cobb saw the need to increase housing for faculty. He purchased a tract of land north of the Post Office and built a housing development, Cobb Terrace. Cobb was also one of five faculty members to found the University of North Carolina Press. Collier Cobb is a crucial cog in understanding Chapel Hill’s past, for he took many of the early photographs of the area.