Holmes-Koch House, c.1913
204 Glenburnie Street
Built in 1913, the Holmes-Koch House is a Shingle Style house that upon first glance may appear to be out of place. The Holmes-Koch House is distinct to Chapel Hill, for the Shingle Style is more common in New England rather than in the South. Originally constructed for John S. Holmes, he lived in the house until 1924. Appointed as the first state forester in North Carolina in 1909, Holmes had a prolific career with the North Carolina Forestry. In 1924, Professor Frederick Henry Koch purchased the home. Koch was the creator of the Carolina Playmakers and resided in the home until 1944.