Hooper-Kyser House, c.1814
504 E. Franklin Street
William Hooper built the Hooper-Kyser House in 1814. Hooper was a professor of ancient languages at UNC and his father was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. In 1814, Mrs. Hooper crafted the well-known silhouette of the University in the home. The Chapel Hill Preservation Society once used this silhouette as their logo. The University used the silhouette for UNC’s Bicentennial celebration as well. In the mid-20th century, Kay and Georgia Kyser bought the home. Kay Kyser was a popular dance bandleader and radio star. Georgia Kyser was a movie star and co-founder of the Chapel Hill Preservation Society. The Hooper-Kyser House is quintessentially Chapel Hill and has long set the tone for design in the town.