Isaac Manning House, c. 1899
507 East Rosemary Street
This Colonial Revival style home was built in 1899 for Isaac Hall Manning. Manning was the Dean of the UNC School of Medicine from 1905 to 1933. He strengthened the school’s science departments and expanded the medical school from a two-year program to a four-year program. He resigned in 1933 because of a disagreement with UNC’s president over the decision to admit a Jewish student. Dr. Manning wanted to place a quota on the amount of Jewish students the medical school could accept. The president overrode the quota. Dr. Manning continued to work at the university as a Kenan professor as well as chairman of the Department of Physiology. He retired in 1939.
Dr. Manning died in 1946, leaving the home to his descendants. They converted it into apartments for UNC students in the 1960s. In 1998, Esteban and Dana McMahan purchased and converted it back into a single-family home.
Sallie Shuping-Russell purchased the Isaac Manning House in 2001. She is on the UNC Board of Trustees and served as the UNC Health Care system’s director from 2002 to 2006. Shuping-Russell renovated the home using Preservation Tax Credits in 2014. She replaced some of the floors with wood from Manning Hall, the original law school building named after Isaac Manning’s father.