James Lee Love House, c.1887
410 E. Franklin Street
James Lee Love, a UNC alumnus and UNC professor of mathematics, constructed the home in 1887 as a gift to his new bride, Julia James “June” Spencer Love. June was the only daughter of Cornelia Phillips Spencer. Cornelia Spencer is remembered as a supporter for a progressive vision for UNC and crucial to the reopening of the University after Reconstruction. When James Love accepted a job at Harvard, Cornelia Spencer took over the home. The University of North Carolina bought the home in 1890 and used it as housing for faculty. Today, the Love House is no longer a residence and is now the home for UNC’s Center for the Study of the American South.