Constructed in 1845, the Mallette-Wilson-Maurice House is one of the oldest homes in the Cameron/McCauley historic district. Built in the Greek-Revival style, the home is the work of Chatham and Orange county cabinetmaker, carpenter, and contractor, Isaac J. Collier. Collier worked on multiple noteworthy Chapel Hill buildings. He was the contractor of Chapel of the Cross as well as the contractor of the brick additions to the Old East and Old West buildings on UNC’s campus.
Sally Mallette bought the land where the Mallette-Wilson-Maurice House sits in 1845. Sally Mallette was the daughter of early Chapel Hill resident and bookseller, Charles Mallette. Sally was also the sister of Dr. William Mallette, who was a Chapel Hill physician who performed one of the first successful cesarean sections in the South. When Sally’s brother, Edward, died in the Civil War, she raised his orphaned children in the home.
Dr. Thomas J. Wilson purchased the home in 1891 for $800. Dr. Wilson was a graduate of Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia and acted as a surgeon for the Confederate Army of Virginia. Wilson’s son, T.J. Wilson III, became a University registrar and later the head of the UNC Press. After Dr. Wilson passed away, students rented his corner office in the house. One of the most notable residents was UNC alumni and Pulitzer Prize winning playwright, Paul Green.
In 1944, Mrs. Charles S. Maurice and husband Dr. Anthony Maurice bought the home when Dr. Maurice accepted a position teaching geology at UNC. A graduate of Princeton University and Johns Hopkins University, Dr. Maurice joined the UNC faculty and during WWII taught physics to cadets in the Navy Pre-Flight School.