Preservation Chapel Hill
Article in North Carolina Homes
With five National Historic Districts and two National Historic Landmarks, Chapel Hill is a hub for history, culture, and tradition. Preservation Chapel Hill is celebrating over 40 years of preservation initiatives in the city.
Sites range from Playmaker's Theatre - a circa 1850 Greek Revival building and National Historic Landmark - to the Old Chapel Hill Cemetery... click to read more
Strayhorn House Restoration Complete!
Several years ago, Preservation Chapel Hill began restoration of the Toney and Nellie Strayhorn House on Jones Ferry Road in Carrboro. After significant repairs to the foundation, floors, chimney, and roof, the restoration is complete! Toney and Nellie Strayhorn were emancipated slaves who married after the Civil War and built a log cabin here in the 1870s. They added onto the cabin to give the house its present appearance in 1879. Learn more here.
Economic Impact Study Released
Each year, Rutgers University conducts a study to determine the economic impact of the Federal Historic Tax Credit. In 2012, the nation completed $3.5 billion in rehabilitation projects, resulting in 58,000 new jobs created, $2.5 billion in new income generated, $3.4 billion in products created, and nearly $1 billion in tax revenues collected. To read the full report, learn more about the program, or find out how to advocate for the program's protection, click here.
PCH Awarded Challenge Grant
Each May, the Marion Stedman Covington Foundation selects grant recipients for historic preservation projects across North Carolina. Preservation Chapel Hill is proud to announce we have received one of these challenge grants for our Historic Resource Resurvey project. The Covington Foundation will grant $5000 toward our first phase of the project (the Chapel Hill and Gimghoul National Register Historic Districts) once we raise $7000. For more information or to make a tax-deductible donation to the project, click here.
Webb House Preservation Plaque
PCH joined the members of Kappa Kappa Gamma Women's Fraternity to unveil a Preservation Plaque at the Junius Webb House. The house was built in 1913 by Chapel Hill businessman Junius Webb, and has been the home of KKG since the 1950s. The house has been beautifully preserved, even as it has been expanded to accommodate KKG's growth. For more information about the PCH Preservation Plaque Program, click here.
Shown here: Kappa Kappa Gamma Chapter President Dana Anderson and House Board President Terri Haywood pose with the newly unveiled plaque.