Old Methodist Church, c.1853
201 E. Rosemary Street
Built in 1853, the Old Methodist Church is the product of Pittsboro architect, Mr. Horn. Designed in the Greek Revival-style of architecture, the building was the original home for the Methodists. The church is one of the four original churches constructed in Chapel Hill. The Chapel of the Cross and the Old Methodist Church are the only two still standing. The Methodists used the building until the congregation moved to their new location on Franklin Street in 1889. The American Missionary Society utilized the building as a place of worship for a small black congregation and the building housed the first integrated school and church in Chapel Hill. In 1926, the building became an automotive and airplane garage. In 1949, noted architects Jim and John Webb began their architecture practice in the building. John Webb was the architect of the Kennedy Memorial in Dallas, TX. Jim Web’s noted as the first faculty member hired by UNC’s Department of City and Regional Planning. He also helped design the Research Triangle Park and was the architect of numerous Chapel Hill homes. Today, the building serves as a space for businesses and offices.