Pool-Patterson House, c.1870
403 W. Cameron Avenue
Built in 1870, Solomon Pool was the first known owner of the two-story house known as the Pool-Patterson House. The Pool-Patterson House is the first home in Chapel Hill to have running water installed. Raised by his two brothers on the family plantation in Elizabeth City, Pool graduated from UNC in 1853 and became the fourth president of UNC. Pool served as president from 1869 until the University closed in 1871 (during Reconstruction). Because he was a Republican during the time of Reconstruction, Pool was the “most disliked person ever to be President of the University of North Carolina.”
In 1888, Confederate veteran Henry Houston “Hoot” Patterson bought the house. Patterson became a leading businessman and one of Chapel Hill’s most prominent citizens. Patterson owned and ran a general store on the corner of East Franklin and Henderson Streets. Patterson was also vice president of the Bank of Chapel Hill, a village alderman, and a member and chairman of the Board of Education. Patterson was also the founder of the first telephone company in Chapel Hill in 1901.