Presbyterian Manse, c.1840
513 E. Franklin Street
Reverend William Mercer Green, the first rector of the Chapel of the Cross, built the Presbyterian Manse in 1840. A few years after the home’s completion, Reverend Green sold the home to Charles Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a University of North Carolina professor of engineering and mathematics as well as a chairman of the University faculty. Dr. Charles Phillips continued to live in the home until 1889 when the Presbyterian Church purchased the property. For the next seventy years, the building served as a home for Presbyterian ministers. It became a private residence once more in 1960.