Stacy-Cain House, c.1912
615 E. Rosemary Street
Dr. Marvin Stacy built the Stacy-Cain House in 1912 on a parcel of land purchased from W.C. Coker and next door to the Berry-Brown-Tax House. Stacy was born in Waxhaw, NC and graduated from UNC in 1902. In 1910, he became a professor of civil engineering and later became dean of the faculty. When Edward Kidder Graham passed away, Stacy became the acting president of the University. Stacy died January 21, 1919 of Spanish influenza, the same disease that claimed the life of President Graham. In 1915, Marvin Stacy sold the home to Dr. William Cain. Cain, a Kenan Professor of Mathematics and Engineering at UNC, received numerous awards for his work including the J. James R. Croes Medal from the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) in 1926 for a paper entitled “The Circular Arch Under Normal Loads.” Cain was the director of the ASCE from 1912 to 1914 and had a prolific career as an author of books on bridge building and architecture.