Tenney Farmhouse, c.1810
381 Tenney Circle
Built in 1810 by John B. Tenney, the Tenney Farmhouse remained in the family until 1992. The home is located on a parcel of land that was the farm of Oregon B. Tenney. During the early part of the 19th century, the home was a boarding house. Boarders included UNC alumnus and United States President James K. Polk as well as UNC law school founder, William K. Battle. During the Civil War, the farmland around Tenney Farmhouse acted as camping grounds for 4000 Union Calvary troops. The home has undergone a significant restoration that has the home renovated largely back to its original form. The Tenney Farmhouse is not only significant to Chapel Hill because of its age, but originally being a farmhouse, this home provides us with a glimpse into the agrarian past of Chapel Hill that most other structures cannot.