Wagstaff-Brown House, c.1907
214 N. Boundary Street
Henry McGilbert Wagstaff built the Wagstaff-Brown House in 1907. Moved from its original location to its current one, the home was relocated because the Wagstaffs needed to construct a new home to better accommodate their growing family. Wagstaff, a UNC professor of history, helped progressive UNC President, Edward K. Graham, in changing the mission of UNC. Around the turn of the 20th century, the focus of the University shifted towards helping the general populous of the state. Wagstaff helped manage University affairs, worked for the North Carolina Literacy and Historical Association from 1928 to 1940, and continued to teach history until his death in 1945. Numerous notable Chapel Hillians have owned the land where the home sits. This list includes, Paul Cameron, Cornelia Phillips Spencer, Julia Spencer and James Lee Love, as well as Henry Wagstaff. Since the Wagstaff family moved from the home, numerous UNC professors have resided in the home, most recently, UNC professor of medicine, David W. Brown.